Monday, April 26, 2010

marrying for dividends

Find a Life Partner Who Agrees on Money Matters

Marriages nowadays face a lot of obstacles. According to a recent study, spouses who feel their partner spends money foolishly have a 45% higher than average divorce rate. After extramarital affairs and alcohol/drug abuse, financial disputes are the third most common risk factor in marriages that break up.

Get to know your fiancĂ©’s thoughts on money before you say “I do.” If you don’t like what you discover, say “I don’t.” During our courtship, Enid struck me as the thriftiest person I had ever met (next to my old buddy Smokey Johnson, who always ordered a 10-cent Fishwich at McDonald’s). From the start, I knew that marrying her was like collecting an extra dividend check every day of my life. We’ve never argued about how much to spend, only how little!

-- Richard Band in the May 2010 Profitable Investing

No comments: