Saturday, October 28, 2017

changing sweep accounts

My E*Trade account is currently earning a measly 0.01% interest (in the E*Trade Financial Extended Insurance Sweep Deposit Account).

However I see you can change the sweep account to HTSXX (JPMorgan 100% US Treasury Securities Money Market Fund) which is currently earning a whipping 0.50%.

Here's how to change your sweep account at E*Trade.

In the very top menu on the broker’s website, select ‘Customer Service’. On the next page, click on ‘Self Service’ and then select ‘Change / Update Uninvested Cash Option’ under ‘Cash Management (Deposits, Transfers and Withdrawals)’. Doing so will produce a new page with a drop-down menu of the available core position options. Select the one you want and follow the prompts.

***

For Schwab customers, I've noticed on their statements that SWVXX (Schwab Value Advantage Money Fund) is now yielding higher than Schwab Cash Reserves (0.90% to 0.67%).  You can't set it up as a sweep account (as far as I know), but you can transfer back and forth from Cash Reserves to SWVXX.  So that's what I've started to do.

***

For Fidelity customers, earlier this year (2/13/17) I noticed that my CASH in my Fidelity account was getting 0.01% while my Fidelity Government Cash Reserves (FDRXX) in my IRA was getting 0.27%.  (Looking back it had been at 0.01% as recently as February 2016).

I wasn't able to switch my non-IRA account to FDRXX, the options I saw were SPAXX (Fidelity Government Money Market) and FZFXX (Fidelity Treasury Money Market).  Morningstar reported that FZFXX was yielding 0.16% while SPAXX was yielding 0.20%, so I switched it to SPAXX.

[5/18/18 - Looking back at my log on 2/13/17 -- To change the sweep account, go to positions, and click on the current sweep vehicle.  From there you're presented a button to "Change Core Position."  If only it was this easy at the other brokerages.]

Looking at Morningstar, FDRXX is yielding 0.74%, SPAXX is yielding 0.68%, and FZFXX is yielding 0.69%.  I'll stick with SPAXX for now.

***

I sure wish E*Trade had told me about this months ago.  I had to find out myself.  I looked because both Schwab and Fidelity were giving me much higher rates than E*Trade and TD Ameritrade.  So far I haven't found a good option for TD Ameritrade cash.  So currently I'm sweeping excess cash to Ally Bank savings (currently paying 1.25%).  The disadvantage is that it takes like 3 days for the transaction to complete.

No comments: