Friday, October 21, 2005

Lazy Investing

Seth Jason writes

A while back, I also suggested applying some strategic sloth to your stock picking. I was trying to find businesses that required very little babysitting, but better yet, had the potential to beat the market, not in spite of, but because of those same characteristics.

Briefly put, I figure opportunity is in Wall Street's madness. As the rest of the Wise flit from next big thing to next big thing, trying to zig when the other guys are zagging, I thought we could do better by concentrating on solid, dependable business leaders that didn't require daily checkups or keep you up at night. The same characteristics that made these investments easy on the stomach should, I thought, make them superior performers over the long term.
Sounds good to me, (though I wouldn't have chosen the stocks that he chose).